Home » Places » Shepard Barn

Shepard Barn

Barn
Barn

ca. 1800  Shepard Barn

This 19th century frame barn with a distinctive rooster weathervane on the cupola stood on the property of Captain John H. Shepard, proprietor of Shepard Tavern (formerly Pettibone Tavern, see #7). His son Frederick M. Shepard (1827–1913) was instrumental in shaping the town in the late 19th century. President of the Goodyear Rubber Company in NY, Frederick Shepard built the water works that piped fresh water from Wangum Lake to the village center and opened streets such as Emerson and Mills Way through his extensive properties for an expansion of housing.


Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 2