Mills House
Colonial
House
1806 Mills House
House
1806 Mills House
Built in 1806 by Deacon Michael F. Mills, this house was the home of Rev. Ralph Emerson, second pastor of the Church of Christ and cousin to the writer Ralph Emerson. In 1874, the house was owned by Frederick E. Porter, who with his brother Lucius helped organize the Norfolk & New Brunswick Hosiery Company. After his death in 1899, his son Dr. William H. Porter used the house as a summer residence, not an ideal location with the smoke and soot from locomotives emerging from the nearby railroad underpass.
Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 17