Home » Places » Joseph Jones House

Joseph Jones House

Colonial
House

1776  Joseph Jones House

A tailor by trade, Joseph Jones had just finished framing his two-story house when he left Norfolk to join the Continental Army in 1776. Upon his return three years later, his financial circumstances required that he reduce his house to one story, cutting the posts to lower the roofline. In the mid-19th century, the house was owned by Amos Pettibone, a member of the Norfolk Anti-Slavery Society. First-hand accounts published in Crissey’s History of Norfolk document the house as a station of the Underground Railroad.


Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 15