Crissey Place
Second Empire
House, Tavern
1810 Crissey Place
House, Tavern
1810 Crissey Place
Built circa 1810 by Captain Darius Phelps who kept a tavern here, this house later belonged to Ralph Crissey, brother of Theron Crissey, author of History of Norfolk (1900). By then a mansard roof had been added, creating a third floor and making this one of the few Second Empire style houses in Norfolk. During the early decades of the 20th century, Cora Brown opened the house to summer boarders and called it Crissey Place. As its popularity increased, Cora expanded the facility to include the two neighboring houses to the north.
Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 13