Home » Places » Church of Christ

Church of Christ

Greek Revival
Place of Worship

1813  Church of Christ
Designed by David Hoadley

Designed by master builder David Hoadley in 1813, the Church of Christ was built on the site of the original 1760 peach-blow pink meetinghouse. The church was widely heralded for its graceful, tiered steeple, and the design was emulated in nearby churches. The three doorways, originally arched, were remodeled in the Victorian era, and the marble porch with colossal portico was added in 1927. A granite stairway leading up to the Church provides access from the Village Green. The artistic ensemble with stone piers surmounted by tall wrought iron lamps was designed by Arts and Crafts architect Alfredo Taylor in 1908.


Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 9