Home » Places » Ariel Lawrence Tavern

Ariel Lawrence Tavern

Colonial
House, Tavern

1797  Ariel Lawrence Tavern

Built in 1797 by Ariel Lawrence, the tavern served travelers on the Greenwoods Turnpike and housed the first post office (est. 1804) in Norfolk. The mail, received twice a week, was kept in a small bureau drawer. Later the house was occupied by Matthew Ryan, who came from Ireland with his brothers and opened a woolen mill near Buttermilk Falls. In 1836 the first Catholic mass in Norfolk was held here.


Historic District Walking Tour Map Index: 43